Monday, September 20, 2010

Simone apologizes in advance for his cussin'

Dammit! Mama is all up in my biz-ness about my pee again.

She said I might have to go back for bladder sludge treatment. I have been doing fine all summer, but the past two mornings she has found sludgy urine on the floor of my cage (outside of the litter box). She's freakin' out a little.

She told the vet, who said I might need another catheter/flush treatment. You wanna bet? Seriously, you wanna be the one to do that to me? Hrmph. Anyway, the vet said to give me Baytril for a oouple of days, and then if that doesn't help, I might have to be sedated again for the flushing.

This is enough to make me cuss, and I am not a cussin' bunny. I only say dammit once in awhile, and now is one of those times.

Also, Mama is confused because the vet has told her to limit my diet to only timothy hay and pellets, that leafy greens are bad for my bladder. (This elicits another "Dammit" from me, the green loving bun that I am.) However, her research online indicates that fresh, leafy greens are essential and if anything, pellets should be removed or limited. She has restricted them mostly since my last sludge episode, and yet it has returned. I keep telling her to just give me more greens, but she is not sure which advice is better? Anyone else have experience with the evil sludge monster?

9 Comments:

At September 20, 2010 3:54 PM, Blogger Christina said...

Hello and thanks for stopping by my blog. The 2 things I always gave to my Nemo that worked on sludge were watermelon and a couple of cranberries. I agree with you, giving up greens is ridiculous. I would just limit the ones high in calcium. The watermelon was really great, it would flush him right out.

 
At September 20, 2010 4:14 PM, Blogger Simone said...

Mmm, Christina that sounds good. Are craisins okay? Or do they have additives that buns can't eat?

As for watermelon, I haven't tried it before but I am a fan of melon in general. How much is okay for me to have?

 
At September 20, 2010 6:20 PM, Blogger Christina said...

I dont know how much Simone will eat but I give Haven a big tablespoon of it once a day when his pee starts to thicken up. ( I pick out the seeds of course)

Craisins would be fine but I think the straight dried cranberries are better for the bladder. They use organic pumpkin seeds at the rescue for bladder sludge. 5 seeds a day seems to help. My bunnies just dont care to eat them.

 
At September 20, 2010 7:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... Is it possible your vet isn't totally experienced in bunnehs? Not all are. I know from my vet when Archi Ann had sludge that's when I learned you have to make sure not to get anything high in calcium. I was incorrectly giving her alfalfa pellets and stopping that made the difference. After that all my bunnies got were a small amount of pellets, unlimited timothy hay and lots of veggies. Some do have calcium so those were limited.

I hope this gets worked out for you fast. So sorry you're going through this.

 
At September 21, 2010 7:18 AM, Blogger Karen M said...

I haven't had that problem with my bunnies, but I wanted to say that the idea of removing greens completely seems odd to me also. I hope you find a safe solution.

 
At September 21, 2010 3:04 PM, Blogger RG said...

Hi Simone! Missed you!

Chico had it. We stopped Kale and Chard - stuck with lettuce, dandelion greens, nasturtium leaves, carrot tops. Also stuff with lots of fluids - like the watermelon, cantelope, some pineapple.

 
At September 25, 2010 10:03 PM, Blogger bunny-whipped.com said...

Hello Simone!!!
We haven't had the problem, but our friend buns have the same problems...
They have ger flushed once a while and they are on strict no-high calcium greens diet. (like dandelion, curly parsly etc.)
We hope you feel better and never have this problem again!

 
At October 10, 2010 10:28 AM, Blogger SixBunnies said...

I have six bunnies and they all are sensitive to different things. Mr. Jamal gives me the most challenges with his diet. He gets digestive problems of all types - sludgy pee, poopy butt, dull fur, etc. - with the slightest amount of pellets. On pure veggies and Timothy hay, he does great. I do have a couple of girls who can't have much kale or they get poopy butt. Mainly, sludgy pee happens if one of the pellet sensitive ones gets into pellets. I hope your bunny is better fast! I know it's scary when you aren't sure what to do for them.

 
At February 16, 2016 3:54 PM, Blogger Louise Dolan www.roverrecommended.com said...

Poor bunny, Here's hopping you feel better soon xxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home